Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Home Sweet Home...
Yay!! Finally home after 5 months away!! I missed cuddling with my kitties and puppy!! But has jet lag ever set in!!! I got home late Sunday night (basically Monday morning since it was 2AM!) due to weather delays in NY, but for some reason the entire trip was kinda bad...

The first leg from Athens to Rome wasn't so bad, even though I had a 5.5 hour layover. The flight from Rome to NY was just miserable: an hour into the flight, just as we were about to level out to cruising altitude, there was an announcement from one of the cabin crew that there would be no in-flight meal due to the fact that the facilities in the economy section were non-operational and they had no clue as to what the problem was!!! This was after they had already served all the vegans and special diet people on board!! So, you guessed it, we only had little rolls and fruit salad!! I so wished I had eaten more than a small sandwich at the airport three hours prior to the flight!!!

So, as if that wasn't bad enough, the flight itself was very turbulent, which is in itself a bit scary! And it seemed as if the flight just dragged on...which it did most likely because our stomachs were talking back due to lack of food!! And the snack they served before landing was just as bad: dry bread with cheese.

So, after a fun 10hour flight, I was more than ready to get back home, only to be met with yet another plane problem. This time, it was a matter of the walkway umbilical (what IS the name for it???) not able to connect properly with the plane!! We waited for about 20 minutes before the captain announced that due to the problem, we would be moving to a new gate. So, we all sat back down and waited until we arrived at the new gate, thankfully with no complications. I think this was the first time that my luggage was on the belt before I was even cleared through customs!!

After getting my bags, and deciphering the terminal locations, I was met with total chaos as soon as I arrived at the Delta terminal. There were literally 15 flights leaving from the same gate!! And what was even worse was that they were all delayed!! There were some flights listed as having a departure time of 7 and it was already 9 and they hadn't even boarded yet!! My plane finally boarded at 10 (we should have departed at 9) but, surprise-surprise, we left an hour later (at 11) because we had to wait for a fuel truck to show up!!!

So, got home Sunday night, slept all day Monday and I have been trying to get readjusted to the time-difference. I still wake up every morning at 4AM, but at least I am now able to get back to sleep.

The plan was to get right to work as soon as I got back but my laptop had other plans. After laying dormant for the past 5 months, it decided that it had enough and the motherboard decided to go on a permanent vacation. Thankfully, it's still under warranty (for another month) so I was able to have someone come out here and get it replaced...hence my presence on-line LOL.

Now, if I could only remember where I packed my field notebooks.....


Log in

No account? Create an account